Saturday, October 17, 2009

EDG

Ok, Last week I went to get a EDG, which I don't even know what that stands for. I now know it is a procedure where you are put kind of asleep and the Doctor puts a camera down your throat into your stomach to see if you have any hernias or anything that would keep you from being a candidate for Lab Band Surgery. I had to be at the hospital at 10 am and the procedure was to be at 11 am. I couldn't have anything to eat or drink after midnight. The night before I went to bed about 11 pm and was awaken about 2 am with a cough. I never have a cough... I felt like all I needed was just a sip of water. It lasted for about and hour and I went back to sleep. Looking back it was probably in my head because I haven't had anymore middle of the night coughs. My sister, Roonie, took me to the hospital for the procedure. I signed in at the front desk and the receptionist asked me if I would like some coffee or something. DUH, I can't have any..... They took me back a short time later, put in a IV and left me laying there for a hour waiting. When it was my turn a very sweet, grandmother looking nurse came in with a little cup and instructed me to take the liquid that was in the cup and gargle with it for a minuet and a half and then swallow it. I thought it wouldn't be a very big deal until I turned the cup up and what was in it plopped in my mouth. It was disgusting! It felt like Vaseline in my mouth and I had no idea how to gargle with what was in my mouth. I was trying very hard to gargle with this stuff but it wasn't happening. My mouth started to water and I was about to puke when the water in my mouth mixed with the stuff in my mouth and became more liquified. While all this was happening the sweet little nurse left. I thought she was suppose to be the time keeper. I continued to gargle and my throat and mouth started to go numb which made it even harder to gargle. About 3 minutes later that sweet little nurse came back and said " Oh are you still gargling, swallow now". It was so gross! Then I was wheeled into a room where the Doctor and a couple of other nurses. I told the Doctor I was nervous and was afraid I was going to gag during the procedure. He smiled and that's the last thing I remember until I was driving home in the car. I'm guessing everything was ok because I'm still on the schedule for surgery for Nov.18..... WooHoo

No comments:

Post a Comment